Coaches, more items to think about as we reach the halfway point of the season.
- SHARING PLAYERS: When you have extra players and the other team is down a player, please share one or more of your substitutes to make as full a game as possible. Also, please accept those players if you are short so that more kids can play. Proper etiquette is having as few kids sit as possible. You shouldn’t force a player to play for the other team, but use your best arguments to get the kid to do it. We have had a situation where a coach refused to take extra players, which would have led to players sitting out when they would not have to – not cool. Read More→
LAST CHANCE Yankee Candle Fundraiser DUE! If you missed the fundraiser drop off, you have two “last chances” to turn them in:
· Monday, Charles Town Fields 5-530pm
· Wednesday, Morgan’s Grove Pavilion, 6-630pm
· Yankee Candle delivery is October 20th (week 7) at Morgan Grove Pavilion. Read More→
Yankee Candle Fundraiser DUE! All order packets and money are due THIS SATURDAY September 22 at the Morgan’s Grove pavilion. We’ll accept cash or checks payable to JCYSL. http://www.jcysl.org/category/fundraising/
Coaches, I will do my best to make sure the weather from this past weekend repeats itself for the next 6 weeks. Hope you enjoyed game day as I thought it was fantastic. A few notes.
THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING PINNIES: I don’t know what happened, but suddenly we only have one color of pinnies (orange) in the big red coaches tub. Please return any pinnies you have used so we can distinguish borrowed players from their original team. In U16 in particular, there is a lot of borrowing going on and we need those pinnies.
- FUNDRAISER: Candle orders due this Saturday.
- INCREDIBLY HELPFUL COACH SIGHTING: Coach Sandi Wilcox in U6 helped clear the field during the thunder of Week 1. Thank you Sandi for doing that. Another reminder that we all have a responsibility for not only our players, but everyone.
- PLAYER HURT ON THE FIELD: When one of your players is hurt on the field, the first person on the scene is the referee. The referee will assess the situation and then call you on the field if needed. Don’t come on the field if you are not asked to do so by the referee. Although you will feel a strong urge to get out there, remember that the referee is trained to handle the situation and is as concerned about the safety of the kids as you are.
- ADVANTAGE: A foul may occur during play but the referee doesn’t stop the play. What’s up with that? Well, it’s a judgment call by the referee. If the team that was fouled has an advantage with the ball after the foul, play continues on. Don’t be outraged, be happy the play continued to your team’s advantage.
- LINEUP CARDS: Remember to put player numbers on the cards AND to place completed cards in the clear tub at the referees table.
- UNIFORMS AND COACH SHIRTS: Looks another order is in and will be distributed at the Charles Town fields on this Friday from 5p to 6p on the U12 field.
U6 Coaches, look for a separate email about your junior facilitators.
Enjoy the week.
David P. Simmons
Harpers Ferry, WV
Again, thank for the awesome game coverage this past week. I am hearing such great things about our coverage. In addition, I am hearing great things from our mentors about our new class of referees. I can’t express enough my thank you’s to you for making the JCYSL Referee Program a success…Keep up the good work!
Game Coverage for Week #3:
Let’s keep up our continued efforts in covering games. We are doing so well and I would like to see it continue through the season. Please remember that the online sign-up is very important for the mentoring program to be successful. This way mentors and mentee can get together on Saturdays to continue the mentoring process.
Thank again to Bourget family for taking care of the tent, game cards, table, flags, and game book at the end of the day on Saturday. It doesn’t happen very often that I am not there the entire day, but when it does I appreciate the extra time from you to take care of our gear.
Coaches, unfortunately the week 1 afternoon games met with some weather. This weekend looks much better, so think positive (part of positive coaching). More things to think about.
1. UNIFORMS: Keep in touch with your division director about uniforms you may need or have ordered. I saw a big order come in this week, so I expect everyone will be properly clothed this week.
2. BYES: If there are an uneven number of teams in your division, then you may have a bye (i.e., no game on a Saturday). We’ve had questions about this, so let your parents know why this is happening and that they aren’t being cheated out of a game unfarily. This concept is one of the aspects we consider when we are creating teams and deciding on your roster size.
Color guard presenting the colors at the open day ceremonies.
Did you see all those cool team banners on opening day? DC United’s mascot “Talon” made a brief appearance. The JCYSL board thanks participating families for showing their team spirit and will be awarding prizes on Week 3 after we review the pictures.
- Teams who made a banner but didn’t get their picture taken should contact action shot sponsor Lisa Kaye Photography <email@example.com> to get their picture taken during week 2 games. Read More→
I have good news. The referee equipment for new referees has arrived. There will be a bin at the referee tent that contains the equipment. Inside the bin will be a labeled bag containing your shirt, socks, coin, whistle, data wallet, and patch. Please remember that you need to provide shorts and a watch. In addition, the bin will contain extra score-pads for data wallets, extra sock, and a few extra shirts. Score-pads can be taken and kept. If you borrow a pair of socks or shirt, please take it home, wash it, and return it next week.
Hello Fellow Referees!
The game book and sign-up is now open. Please try to cover at least one this Saturday. If you are covering more than one game, please pace yourself to avoid burnout.
If you have not signed up in the game scheduling system, please do so at https://ayso322.d4sportsreg.com/default.aspx. You will select New Member on the right-side of page. For those that have registered, thank you! Your referee gear (shirt, socks, cars, whistle, & coins) has been ordered. I have been working the last two days to track it down. I hope that it arrives by Saturday. I am apologizing now if does not. The AYSO Store is telling me the order has shipped, but cannot provide me a tracking number. I will continue to track this down. I am working to assign mentors. I should have those ready by week 2. Again, thank you for becoming an AYSO referee. I will do everything possible to make your experience a positive one.