Coaches, hopefully you are through most of the administrative part of your job. The fields are ready for kids to play some soccer. A few items to think about.
1. FORMS & TRAINING: In order to get on the field with the kids, you need to 1) send in 2 signed volunteer forms; 2) complete Safe Haven training (one time training, good for your lifetime); 3) complete age-specific training (required for U6 through U10, highly recommended for U12 and above). Make sure you have completed these steps before you practice with the kids.
2. PRACTICE TIME: Most of you have signed up for time. If you have not, contact your Division Director.
3. PLAYER FORMS: With you at all times (you do not need to sleep with them, however). If you have a player w/out a form (registered late) ask the parents to bring a signed form to the first practice. No form, no play.
4. COACH SHIRTS: For new coaches who do not have a coach shirt, the league plans to buy one for you. By no later than 5pm on August 27th, please email our uniform coordinator, Kim Fortney at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your a) division (U10, U6, etc.); b) name; and c) shirt size.
5. U6 FACILITATORS: We will need more facilitators for the U6 division. We are offering the following and need you to encourage kids and U6 parents to attend. This is a 30-minute training that will give kids and parents the ability to “run” a U6 game. Kids interested in becoming a youth referee should try this to see if they like the idea and want to referee older kid games.
a. Kids age 10 and Up: Saturday August 25th at 2pm at Charles Town Middle School (meet at the front entrance). Have them email me if they plan to come.
b. U6 parents: Tuesday August 28th from 5:30 to 6p at the Charles Town fields (go to picnic table near the U16 fields).
6. TEAM MANAGEMENT: Don’t forget to delegate. Have a solid 1st team meeting and walk away from it with 90% of your paper work in your packet gone!
7. ENJOY THE SEASON AND THE KIDS!
David P. Simmons
JCYSL Coach Administrator
Harpers Ferry, WV