Coaches, I hope you have been enjoying the weather out there. The first week of play seemed to go off well. Some items to think about as we move into the 2nd game.
- LAST GAME OF THE DAY DUTIES: If you are the last game on your field, then you need to take the flags back to the shed. In U6, you need to put the goals back in the shed (i.e., channel your inner ninja to twist those goals so they fit back in the bags).
- TOO FEW PLAYERS: With the spring break, there may be very few players at your game on April 14. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CANCEL A GAME. The board has the authority to cancel games. If you are short by a little, borrow a player or have each team play with less players. If you are short by a lot and know this ahead of time, talk it through with your Division Director (they are really, really smart) and we may be able to come up with a plan.
- BALL CONTROL: I still see players who won’t poke that toe up while either delivering a push pass or using the foot for ball control (a “trap”). Less room for error when they do that, so encourage this whenever you can.
- LINEUP CARDS AND COACH BOX: Hopefully you saw the black box that has blank lineup cards. It is next to the big red tub which has pinnies and other items you may borrow (not take).
- THANK YOUS: Don’t forget to thank the referees. An extra snack to the refs may just land you a ref for the entire season.
- PREP FOR SILENT SATURDAY: Each week, I recommend you get quieter than the previous week. You will see the players taking control of the game.
- FUNDRAISER: Don’t forget to give out those cookie forms and get the kids selling.
Hope you and the kids are having fun! There’s really no other way to do it!
David P. Simmons
JCYSL Coach Administrator