Coaches, first game is coming up. By now, your teams should be a well-oiled, crisp passing, and relentless defensive team. OK, maybe not, but try to see the that way! Final thoughts before we get going on Saturday.
1. OPENING DAY: An email has been sent out to all parents about opening day. If your team is bringing a banner (you would have signed up to do this), then you know what to do (picture at pavilion). For all others, we need to go to our games and listen for the National Anthem at around 7:45. Be on the lookout for new parents trying to locate the proper fields. For instance, U5 plays on the U10 fields at 10:30a every Saturday.
2. PARKING IN SHEPHERDSTOWN: For teams that practice in Shepherdstown: please do not park near the pavilion on these week days: September 3, 4, 10, 14, 17, 26 and October 3rd. Parks and Recreation, our landlord, is hosting events during these days and will be posting No Parking and Rental signs, so please park in the lower lot.
3. 1ST GAME OF THE DAY DUTY: Get the corner flags from the shed and set them up. U6 is to get the pop-up goals from the shed and set them up.
4. LAST GAME OF THE DAY DUTY: Put the corner flags back in the shed. U6 is to put the pop-up goals back into the shed (with the extra duty of trying to figure out how to get them twisted back into the shape that fits the zipper bag!).
5. FUNDRAISER: Sell Yankee candles because bumpy fields with little grass are no fun. Packets due on Sep 22.
6. WEATHER: Pay attention this week as it looks like a threat of thunderstorms all week. Leave the field immediately and blow your whistle a bunch when you do if you hear thunder or see lightning. Don’t get back on until 30 minutes of lightning/thunder free sky has passed.
7. POSITIVE COACHING: Say “I saw where you were trying to put that ball” instead of “need some more on that pass”. Make ‘em want to come back for more.
Have a great week!
P.S. U6 coaches, look for a separate email later in the week discussing your U6 Facilitator options.
David P. Simmons
Harpers Ferry, WV