Coaches, I hope you all had a great day on Saturday. The weather cooperated, which makes it seem just a bit better. Be patient with the players as we’re all learning. Some important items below.
- FUNDRAISER: All teams should have picked up their fundraiser packets and distributed them to all players. They will be due on April 23, so the sooner we get them in the hands of the players, the more we sell.
- KEEPER CLINIC: As I mentioned during the coach meeting, there will be a keeper clinic led by Kevin Mahmot (Assistant Coach at Washington High) on Sunday at the CT fields from 1:30p to 3p. Please tell your players about this and please come to observe some training techniques and fundamentals of goalkeeping. I would like to know by Thursday if players are coming, so please email me with numbers from your team so we can plan. This will be for U10 and older only. Also, PLAYERS MUST BRING A SIGNED PLAYER FORM WITH THEM TO PARTICIPATE. I recommend that they print another one out and bring it with them as you want to keep your packet of forms whole.
- LINEUP CARDS: Remember to put player numbers on the cards and to return them to the clear box at the referees table. We have separate U6 lineup cards this Spring. Blank lineup cards are found around the red coach box.
- NEW PLAYERS: Make sure that new players arrive with a signed player form. They cannot play unless they have it. Also, his/her uniform will arrive eventually, but late sign ups mean late uniforms. Remind the player to wear the proper jersey color on game day.
- INJURY OCCUR?: If a player is injured during a game or practice, make sure you complete an incident report form (in your coach packet or online at www.jcysl.org, click ‘Documents’ then ‘Forms’). Give the form to a board member or mail it into the league (PO Box 1287, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425). As an example, I had a player tweak his knee at the last game and come out for a while. He will probably miss one practice this week, but won’t go to see a doctor. I will document this anyway as there is a chance it could lead to some doctor visits.
- DRILLS, DRILLS, DRILLS: Use your coach manuals to find new drills that are fun and instructive. Footwork and ball control matter a lot. Better control means better outcomes with the ball.
Questions or confusion about something? Contact your Division Director and they will find the person with the answer. Thanks for a great start to the Spring season!
David P. Simmons
JCYSL Coach Administrator