Coaches, this week’s game marks the halfway point of the season. By all accounts, the kids are having a great experience. Thanks for giving it to them. Some important items below.
- ***BRING YOUR USED SOCCER EQUIPMENT: A representative from “Cleats for Bare Feet” will be at our fields on Saturday to collect gently used soccer equipment. Your equipment will find a new home somewhere in the U.S. or abroad. Please ask your parents and kids to participate.
- SILENT SATURDAY: It is this week. Time for your players to take full responsibility for the game. Help the day go smoothly by reminding your parents to refrain from the vocal cheering and to clap instead. This is very difficult for some. Board members will be present to help you if you think you will have any difficulty. Remember this is a player development moment in our schedule. We tell kids to communicate on the field, but on Saturday we really mean it. This is a message to them that they must “read” the game as it comes to them. The older players know what to do on Silent Saturday b/c they have been through it in the younger age group games. Be patient about this process what it gives these players.
- ANTIETAM CUP: Deadline for registration is May 28th. The forms require board signatures, so we would prefer you complete your forms in time for our next board meeting – May 20th. It is first come, first served, so if you want to get it in sooner, then one of the Saturdays before that would be best. You will need signatures from the Regional Commissioner (Roger Snook) and the Referee Administrator (Matt Byers).
- 1ST GAME OF DAY: Remember to put out the flags. If you are U6, you will need to put out the goals.
- LAST GAME OF DAY: Remember to put the flags back in the shed. If you are U6, remember to return the goals to the shed.
Last game times are as follows: U6 Boys = 1pm; U6 Girls = 12pm; U8 Boys = 3p; U8 Girls = 2pm; U10 Boys = 3pm; U10 Girls = 1:45pm; U12 Boys/Girls = 3:30pm; U16/U19 = 4p (most days, some may be 3:30p)
- TOE CLEATS: Please check your players cleats to make sure it is absent a toe cleat. Toe cleats indicate the cleats are for baseball or possibly football. They can cut it off if they don’t want to get a new pair of cleats, but make sure there are no sharp edges if that is the case.
- TRASH PICKUP: Please remind families to pack out what they bring in. Maybe the snack person brings an extra bag to grab trash at the end of the game? The fields are often littered with plastic bottles and fast food packaging. Let’s do our best to keep the place “litter-free”.
- HEARD ABOUT SOME GREAT COACHING: We have been told about great things that Coaches Hawthorne, Tracy, and DeMoulin are doing in U10 and Coach Fortney in U12. Thanks for making a great experience for the kids. Your parents appreciate it.
Enjoy (don’t stress about) Silent Saturday. Time to watch and listen, like the wise, old owl. You may see and hear things that you have been missing.
David P. Simmons
JCYSL Coach Administrator